Forecast Contest Sponsors
Clark Amerault '00
Josh Darr '00
Patrick Lamey '00
Matt Noyes '00
Adam O'Shay '00
Pam Pedersen '00
CCAMS is the Cornell University Chapter of the American Meteorological Society. Comprised primarily of Cornell meteorology majors, CCAMS holds monthly meetings to discuss/schedule club events such as forecasting activities, service opportunities, athletics events, and non-academic recreation. Chapter members participate in the Cornell WeatherPhone and other service activities related to severe weather safety and general weather awareness. Many chapter members also help plan alumni weekend and organize groups to attend national meteorology conferences. Alumni weekend is held every Spring and aims to form a closer relationships between current and former meteorology students at Cornell. The Chapter holds forecasting contests each semester and donates all proceeds to local charities. In addition, CCAMS holds regular social events ranging from parties to dinners with faculty members in Collegetown. If you would like more information about CCAMS feel free to contact one of the current officers.
Members of CCAMS are active the broader Cornell and Ithaca community and participate together in some of the following events:
- Forecast Competition: Open to all Cornell students, the forecast competition gives students a daily forecasting opportunity, complete with prizes for the top forecasters at the end of every semester.
- WxChallenge: CCAMS members can compete against meteorology students across the country in the WxChallenge, a national forecasting competition. WxChallenge gives students an additional chance to forecast for unique, challening parts of the country. In the past, CCAMS members have placed among the top forecasters in the nation.
- Cornell Weatherphone: Provides free, localized, updated weather information for Ithaca, NY
- Ithacation: A free, monthly weather newsletter dedicated to detailing the club's activities as well as general outreach and education by featuring interesting, meteorology-related articles.
- Education Outreach: Students design and perform experiments for middle school students and visit local schools to teach young students about the weather.
- First Snowfall Competition: A yearly contest held each Fall, where any Cornell student can try to forecast Ithaca's first day of measurable snowfall.
- Intramural Sports: CCAMS students form teams to compete in co-ed football, softball, bowling, soccer, basketball, and other sport which strikes the club's interest.
CCAMS supports these activities and more through funding from the EAS department, internal fund-raising, alumni donations, and the Cornell SAFC.